Tips for Buying your mattress
If you’re buying a baby mattress for the first time then you might want some pointers on what you need to look out for. You need to guarantee your baby’s safety and comfort whilst keeping costs down. While we can provide the best prices for baby mattresses, here are some tips to help you decide what type of mattress is right for you and your baby:
1. Invest in a good quality mattress to ensure that it lasts as long as your baby needs it – it needs to be of high density to ensure that it will keep its shape.
2. Sleep is important – especially for new parents. Your baby will sleep better if they are comfortable and feel safe. A good quality mattress will provide this.
3. The mattress should be able to tick all the boxes: comfort, safety and hygiene are a must.
4. Buy a new mattress for a new baby – re-use the furniture (cot or crib) as you like, however for safety and hygienic reasons we recommend buying a new mattress. Second hand mattresses may be permanently compressed by the previous owner’s body weight and therefore can’t provide a comfortable yet firm surface for your baby.
5. Make sure you measure the cot or crib correctly before you buy your mattress. You must leave a small gap in order to fit bedding and sheets, however the gap must be below 4cm. Babies’ little arms and legs can be caught in the gaps which is an easily avoided danger. We make all our mattresses to measure, so even if you have an unusual cot or crib we can make the perfect size mattress for you.
6. It is important to keep the mattress clean for your baby’s health, safety and comfort. Buy a mattress with a removable cover that can be washed at a minimum temperature of 60c. This ensures the surface is kept clean at all times. It is wise to invest in an extra cover or two so that you can be washing one while the other is in use!
7. Regularly turn the mattress from end to end to ensure that is gets equal wear on either side. The will prolong the life of your mattress.
8. To maintain your baby’s posture, choose a mattress that is firm but comfortable. This will support your baby as they grow whilst they are sleeping during a key time of spinal growth and development.
The Mattress Factory